Remember a time when the 'school girl' hairstyle was limited to pigtails or a simple braid paired with a ribbon? Well, now the preppy girl hairstyle has got a rather stylish makeover, which goes beyond your school grounds. Think Gossip Girl meets Princess Diaries - it's simplicity with a spark. Thanks to the likes of social media, the #preppyaesthetic is trending and how, with people opting for plaid blazers, knee-high socks, and of course, hairstyles that'll take you to a simpler time. But, this time around it's more flare than functional. From ponytails to loaded hair accessories to the prim and proper ballerina bun, here are a few ways in which you can achieve the preppy girl hairstyle trend IRL. Don't worry, we promise these hairstyles are nothing like what you actually wore to school in your haydays.
#1 - The Preppy Ponytail
Image courtesy - @laurapolko on Instagram
Who doesn't love a cool and preppy ponytail. Paired with some beach waves, this high ponytail hairstyle gives preppy a whole new meaning.
- SStep 1: Begin by applying Livon Damage Protect Serum evenly on your locks. Section your hair in three parts (top, bottom, and top), and begin creating light beach waves with a curling tong.
- Step 2: Once your entire mane is done, pull your hair back into a high ponytail. Use a brush to comb and pat down the front of your hair. It needs to appear smooth.
- Step 3: Secure your ponytail with a hair-tie. Tug on the ends of the ponytail and ruffle the hair a little to create a messy effect.
- Step 4: Take a colourful bow scrunchie or a bow clip and place it around the hair-tie.
- Step 5: Finish off by spraying Livon Shake & Spray Serum around your hairline and the crown area. Use a clean, unused toothbrush to pat down the frizz and keep the baby hair on the DL.
#2 - Subtle Glossy Waves
Image courtesy - @gregoryrussellhair on Instagram
Going for that retro school-girl vibe? Then this is your best bet! This glossy, wavy hairstyle will instantly breathe life into a boring look. Throw in your favourite accessory and you're ready to hit the town.
- Step 1: Detangle your hair with a hair brush and apply Livon Super Styler Serum. Section it and begin straightening your hair with a pair of straighteners.
- Step 2: Now, section only the bottom layer of your mane. Use a curling tong to create loose waves only at the ends of the section.
- Step 3: Repeat it the same for the middle layer. Run your fingers through your hair to open up and loosen the curls even further.
- Step 4: Centre-part your hair and tuck the front behind your ears. Place your hairband a few inches away from your hairline, so that the parting can be seen.
- Step 5: Use a bobby pin to hold the hair behind your ears to the hairband.
- Step 6: Let the hair behind the hairband, elegantly and neatly fall over the hairband.
#3 - The Flared Ponytail
Image courtesy - @jackiewyers on Pinterest
Clearly, the preppy girl hairstyle is all about the ponytail. However, this one comes with a bit of a 60s twist.
- Step 1: Section your hair into three layers (bottom, middle, top), and begin curling the ends of each section with a pair of curling tongs. The curls need to be loose and more wavy than outright curly.
- Step 2: Once all sections are complete, neatly pull your hair up into a high ponytail. It needs to sit just above your crown. #PROTip: If your hair tends to fall flat around the crown area, give it a little lift by backcombing and teasing the crown area, before pulling your hair into a ponytail.
- Step 3: Secure your ponytail with a hair-tie. Use a sheer ribbon to conceal the hair-tie and wrap it around in the shape of a bow.
- Step 4: Now, instead of flattening the end of your ponytail, simply spread it in a way that it flares around the back of your head. You can do this by tugging the hair that comes after the hair-tie and fanning it out in a neat, shapely manner.
#4 - The Curled Out Lob
Image courtesy - @gracemcgovern on Instagram
Elegant and oh-so-chic, this preppy girl hairstyle has surely gotten a blingy, glam touch. Whether it's the sleek outward curled lob or the eye-catching hair accessories, there's something very classic about this hairstyle for sure!
- Step 1: Begin by applying Livon Damage Protect Serum on your hair and begin blow drying your hair outwards. Remember the ends need to sit away from your face.
- Step 2: Use Livon Anti-Frizz Serum and comb your hair so that it looks glossy and smooth. Side-part your hair and use some pretty hair clips to pin the larger side.