Who doesn't love the classic bun! This go-to hairstyle literally fits in anywhere at any time, without any fuss. The counterpart to your ponytail, just like its other half, the bun is also pretty much a no-brainer-which sometimes makes it seem a little too boring. So, what happens when you give that classic go-to a bit of a contemporary spin? You're left with a hairstyle that blends the two worlds-the old and the new-to create a gorgeous masterpiece. Scroll down to check out our picks of 3 of the quickest bun hairstyles that give a modern spin to your classic updo.
#1 - The Flowered Beauty Bun
Image courtesy - @kritisanon on Instagram
This is a great saree hairstyle that actually pairs well with anything ethnic. Accessorising your bun breathes life into that simple hairdo, and actually ties in your entire desi-girl vibe.
- Step 1: Start by applying a heat protectant spray or serum to your hair and begin straightening it. It doesn't need to be poker straight-it just needs to look neat and tidy for the rest of the bun.
- Step 2: Centre-part your hair and pull it into a mid-rise ponytail. Secure with a hair-tie.
- Setp 3: Wrap your ponytail around the hair-tie a couple of times and secure it into a bun. Take some flowers (can be roses, Jasmine, baby breaths, feel free to take your pick) and gently pin them into the sides of your bun. Make sure to cover the entire area around your bun for maximum effect.
- Step 4: Comb the front to neaten any strays and tada! your look is all set.
#2 - The "I Woke Up Like This" Bun
Image courtesy - @yamigautam on Instagram
You know those days where your hair just doesn't comply, but you still have to move on with life? Well, this hairstyle is perfect for those moments-it takes that "I give up" look and gives it a whole new makeover.
- Step 1: Comb your hair into a normal low ponytail, as you would usually, and secure it with hair-tie.
- Step 2: Twist the ponytail and lift it all the way to your crown and let the ends fall back down again. Clamp it with either a large hair claw or three small hair claws (depending on your hair length).
- Step 3: Let your hair sit like a baguette rather than a donut. Remove a few strands from the front of your hair, it'll help frame your face. You can even tong these strands to make them appear messy and wavy.
#3 - The "Two Braids In A Bun" Bun
Image courtesy - @sonamkapoor on Instagram
One of the easiest ways to amp up your bun game is to add a few braids to your hair, here and there. To create this look, you want to start with freshly straightened hair.
- Step 1: Comb your hair out, centre part it, and around the crown create two mini-braids.
- Step 2: Repeat on the other side-let these braids sit, we'll come back to them later.
- Step 3: Comb your hair into a low ponytail and secure it with a small hair-tie.
- Step 4: Begin braiding your ponytail-lift it up and secure it to your crown.
- Step 5: Remember those mini-braids we kept aside? It's time to pin them to your big braid. Make sure to secure any loose hair with some bobby pins and of course, hairspray.
- Step 6: Finish off by neatening the front of your hair by combing it with a fine-toothed comb, and then adjusting any strays that come in your way.